A high-efficiency powertrain with minimal waste
The key lies with just how much power the engine can generate from a minimal quantity of fuel, and how that power can be transmitted to the wheels...
Next-generation SUBARU BOXER
A new generation of engine for more driving fun, using less energy
- The new BOXER engine has a longer stroke design and a more compact combustion chamber, as well as dual AVCS that increases intake and exhaust efficiency, lighter pistons and less friction throughout the engine to attain supreme combustion efficiency and fuel efficiency. And the engine also delivers mountains of low to mid-range torque for feisty acceleration and easier day-to-day drivability. A truly new generation of engine that is easy on the environment, as well as fun on the road.
SUBARU BOXER “Direct Injection Turbo”
Direct Injection Turbo engine for extreme power and fuel efficiency
- Subaru’s first Direct Injection Turbo engine uses direct injection technology to provide precision control of fuel injection, resulting in high compression and operating efficiency that was considered impossible with existing turbo engines. The engine packs sports performance more similar to larger capacity engines, with low fuel consumption and exhaust gas emissions.
CVT (continually variable transmission) that keeps the engine in the optimum efficiency range
- The transmission developed by Subaru is called “Lineartronic,” a longitudinally-mounted chain-driven continually variable gearbox. Keeping the engine in its most efficient operating range achieves outstanding fuel efficiency and a linear acceleration feel. And Lineartronic allows the engine to operate longer at a lower speed than conventional automatic transmission systems. A lower engine speed means better fuel economy. Also, smooth, non-step acceleration means there are no major jolts when the gears change, and the system is so silent, both qualities that make Lineartronic so appealing.
Valve control to achieve better fuel efficiency
- Mechanism that enhances fuel efficiency and output performance by improving intake efficiency with optimal control of intake valve timing. The AVCS unit controls the timing with which intake valves open and close by changing the rotation of the camshaft and it sucks in a suitable amount of air for each speed range. It achieves higher torque in the lower speed range and improves fuel efficiency.
Ring-Shaped Reinforced Frames
Lightweight frame for stability and security
- Super strong high-tensile material has been used in certain parts of the chassis in place of steel plates that are normally used, which helps to reduce weight and increase strength. Driving stability and collision safety are increased while keeping the weight down, which help to bring about better fuel efficiency.